A folding table (trestle table) is one that you can collapse in half or more for a quick instalment, movement or storage. These tables are often made of light materials that you can easily move around from one place to the other.
Folding tables allow businesses from event venues, hotels, restaurants to street vendors and anyone who needs an additional table space to quickly and easily add or remove tables depending on the requirements of the day.
Basics of a Folding Table
While there are different models of folding tables, the basics are always the same. These parts of a folding table make it what it is and give you the convenience of their easy utilisation.
The parts of a folding table are:
- Surface/tabletop: Like all tables, the top of this table is slick and smooth. Once you lock it into place, the two pieces of the top will create a seamless look.
- Lock mechanism: All folding tables have a mechanism that locks the legs into place. This ensures stability while the table is open.
- Apron: This is extra support that is right underneath the table surface.
- Brace: Another form of support that is on either side of the table legs.
- Legs and foot caps: The double legs on the table give it more support. The foot caps are made of rubber or plastic to prevent damage to the floor, minimise noise when moving the tables, and prevent them from sliding about when in use.
Folding Table Shapes
You can get different types of folding table shapes. You can go for:
- Square/Rectangular Tables: These tables are made with right angles. Their straight sides and uniformity give you the ability to put many of them together when you want to have one long table. This is the most classic table shape that allows for most people to fit on a single table. The rectangular shape table gives you the most benefit when you are limited in space.
- Round Tables: Round tables are great for events that are meant to bring people together. Great for weddings, meetings or events, these tables can fit anything from eight to ten people for an intimate and conversational atmosphere.
Materials for Folding Tables
One of the greatest assets of folding tables is their light weight. This, of course, is credited not only to the design but also to the materials used in the making of the table.
Plastic and Polyurethane
A table made of these materials is cheap, non-porous, very lightweight, flexible and easy to maintain. The tables are so light that they have zero risk of damaging the surfaces that you place them on. They come with a pair of rubber feet that stabilise this otherwise light table from moving around when in use. Polyurethane is a type of plastic that is a little more sturdy and durable. It can take abrasive cleaning of its surface without damage.
Typically used in a catering environment and fabricated in stainless steel. Easy to clean and wipe down between services.
Aluminium is a very lightweight metal that is still very durable. This metal is easy to maintain, does not rust, and can endure high temperatures and abrasive cleaning agents. Tables that are made of aluminium usually have an additional coating that keeps them sanitary with regular cleaning and suitable for outdoor use.
Wood and Metal
Wood tables with metal frames are often used as folding tables with more sturdiness. Depending on indoor or outdoor use, wooden tables are made from different materials.
Laminate is a very lightweight material that makes a great substitute for plastic tables. ABS is also more eco-friendly than plastic. They have the strength of a metal table but are lighter in weight with less density of the material. The weather-resistant material does not release acids like PVC, so it is a great option to place food on its surface without contaminating it.
Different Leg Styles
Folding tables differ in the shape of their legs. You can find a folding table with pedestal, wishbone, roman or ladder legs. Pedestal and wishbone legs have double posts. The difference is that wishbone legs curve outward to give greater support for the table. The wishbone legs are created to give maximum support to round tables. Pedestal legs are usually seen on rectangular folding tables. Roman legs are great for tables that are meant for more people. They give more leg space to all sides of the table. Ladder legs have two legs with connecting rungs. Ladder legs are good for tables that are smaller in width because they give additional support for a table that would otherwise tip over.
Features of Folding Tables
There are several features to look for when buying a folding table.
Some tables can have their top higher or lower. These tables are very versatile and can be accommodated for children or adults of different sizes.
Besides having its legs secured underneath the tabletop, these folding table designs can be folded in half again. Most of them have handles with which you can carry them to the place of storage.
Some tables have a top that can be tipped over vertically. This helps you store them easily and put them together fast.
If you are looking for a bar height table, there are some that answer to this standard. You can put these high-standing tables anywhere to create a real bar atmosphere.
Tables with modesty panels give some privacy to the people standing on the table and protect the legs. These are generally used for educational purposes in schools and universities. Table cloths or conference baize can also be used and modesty panels are very rarely used now.
BE Furniture Sales offers a range of plain wood trestle tables which are typically used for large scale exhibition venues, school and local halls, craft and antique fairs to home and garden use. Trestle tables range in size from 4′ x 2′ up to 6′ x 2’6″. We also offer bulk buy discounts on some of our wooden trestle tables.
Varnished wood tables with folding metal legs. The varnished wood top makes these table to wipe clean and folding legs allow for easy storage. Our varnished wood tables are ideal for restaurant, hotels, conference and exhibition venues, schools and universities.
Plastic trestle tables are perfect for catering tables with them being easy to clean and sturdy, or an extra pull out table when you have extra guests, a sewing table, a garden potting table, a table to take to craft and antique fairs as well as car boot and camping . Various sizes and shapes with some folding with carrying handles for ease of use.
Various catering trestle tables both stainless steel and plastic. Easy to clean and wipe down after service or function. Fold flat trestle legs allow for easy storage when not in use.
BE Furniture Sales offers a selection of robust banqueting tables for the catering, hospitality and events industry.
BE Furniture Sales tables are lightweight but sturdy, making them very versatile to suit any application. They’re very easy and quick to erect, meaning your event can be set up in no time at all by staff.
If you cant locate the tables you are looking for, please contact our sales team.
- Trestle Table Buying Guide
- Banqueting Tables Bulk Buy Discounts
- Banqueting Tables Buying Guide
- Event Design and Event Layouts
- Folding Chairs – An Overlooked Joy