Aluminium furniture is one of the preferred type of outdoor furniture because of its lightness, durability, and resistance to corrosion. However, outdoor aluminium furniture will always face harsh natural elements, including rain, sun, and frost. To stay beautiful for a long time, you need to know how to take good care of it to last several years.
Here are some tips on how to take care of your outdoor aluminium furniture to extend its life span.
Care for your Outdoor Aluminium Furniture
1. Cover it when Not in Use
Furniture covers are an inexpensive way to protect outdoor furniture during adverse weather. If you cannot store your furniture indoors over winter then a stronger cover is recommended, especially if you experience harsh winters where snow and ice will affect the cover over a period of time.
2. Regularly Clean
People generally don’t think about their outdoor aluminium furniture very often. It sits there, year after year, typically looking good and doing its job. But it’s important to remember that aluminium is a metal, and like any metal, it can corrode if you don’t take care to maintain it.
Regularly Wash: Use mild soap to wash your outdoor aluminium furniture regularly. This will help prevent the build-up of dirt and grime and prevent corrosion from occurring.
Brush: A soft brush between cleans will help remove dirt and grime that could be contributing to possible corrosion and scratching.
3. Regularly Inspect
There are a few things you should know about inspecting your outdoor furniture:
- Check the joints on the frames to make sure they are not loose or bent.
- Look for any signs of rust on the frames.
- Ensure all bolts, nuts, and screws are tight and secure before using your furniture.
4. Protect It from Moisture
Aluminium is a highly-durable metal that can withstand heat, cold, and chemicals with very little damage. However, prolonged exposure to certain atmospheric conditions can cause corrosion and rust to form on the furniture’s surface, which will affect its appearance.
- Keep your furniture away from long standing contact with water
- If you have older furniture that is starting to show signs of rust, clean the surface of your furniture with diluted vinegar and then rinsing thoroughly with warm water.
5. Keep Away from Flammables
The first reason you should keep your outdoor aluminium furniture away from flammable materials is that the heat can change the colour of the aluminium. This could be fire pits or directly under outdoor heaters.
- Aluminium Garden Furniture FAQs
- Is Aluminium the Best Metal for Garden Furniture?
- Aluminium Garden Furniture Buying Guide
- Commercial Outdoor Furniture Buying Guide
- Restoring Metal Garden Furniture